Mr. Pham Hong Hai – Lecturer of Dalat University was honored to receive the central-level Outstanding Young Teacher Award in 2022. Mr. Pham Hong Hai is one of the two teachers from Lam Dong province to receive this award among 100 young teachers nationwide.
On the evening of November 12, 2022, at the Youth Activity Center of Dong Thap province, the Central Committee of the Ho Chi Minh Communist Youth Union held the third central-level Outstanding Young Teacher commendation ceremony in 2022. Among young teachers across the country, Mr. Pham Hong Hai – lecturer of Dalat University was honored to receive this award. This is the honor of not only Mr. Pham Hong Hai but also Dalat University.
With this honor, Mr. Pham Hong Hai had an interview to share his feelings about the Award as well as his journey as a teacher:
Interviewer: When receiving the news that you are 1 of 2 young teachers of Lam Dong province to receive the central-level Outstanding Young Teacher Award of 2022, how was your feeling and how important is this award to you?
Mr. Pham Hong Hai: When I received the central-level Outstanding Young Teacher Award, I felt very happy and moved, it can be said that my efforts and dedication have been recognized. It was like a dream!
For me, this award is very meaningful. It helped to increase my inspiration and passion for my job, so I feel that I need to strive to become a better teacher. In addition to the personal meaning, this award also helps the society to empathize more with teachers, especially those who are working at schools in remote and isolated areas. When I look at those teachers, I see that my contributions are really small, and in the future, I will have to strive harder to deserve this award.
Interviewer: It is known that beside teaching, Mr. Pham Hong Hai also held many other positions, so what advantages or disadvantages did this create in completing the tasks?
Mr. Pham Hong Hai: Currently, I am teaching at the Faculty of Sociology and Social Work, and also the Deputy Head of the Department of Politics and Student Services; I am also the Secretary of the Ho Chi Minh Communist Youth Union of the University. Working in many positions helps me gain more knowledge and skills, making me more mature. In addition, I also have the opportunity to meet more people; Especially being able to work with students who are extremely creative, dynamic, enthusiastic, I laugh more, feel younger and also learn a lot from them. Besides the advantages, the biggest difficulty is that sometimes there is work-life imbalance. As I take on multiple roles at work, I have less time for my family and myself, which is one of the biggest challenges for me. To be able to balance time between family and work, I always try to manage my time properly. I always try to organize and prioritize the things that are important. Fortunately, at work, I receive a lot of attention and support from my colleagues.
Interviewer: In your teaching career, what difficulties did you face and how did you overcome them?
Mr. Pham Hong Hai: I was born and raised in my hometown of Ninh Binh, and when I live far away from my hometown, I know I have to work harder. In more than 14 years of working at Dalat University, I think the most difficult and important thing, is how to communicate, inspire, and encourage students. I always try to research, innovate teaching content and methods, apply modern technologies and means to give students easy-to-understand and practical lectures. I am always open-minded, listening to students’ opinions, updating new things of today’s youth so that the lectures are suitable for each discipline and easily receptive. In particular, I also focus on improving independent thinking, communication skills, and enhancing career orientation for students.
Interviewer: Nowadays, there are many young people who feel hesitant when choosing a career as a teacher, do you have any advice for young people who interested in education major or students in education major?
Mr. Pham Hong Hai: My advice to you is: To be successful, you need to combine your interests – passions and abilities. Three factors that lead to success are attitudes, skills, and knowledge; These three factors will constitute your capacity. Let your attitude guide you; Let skills enhance productivity; Let knowledge complete the work in the best, fastest and most effective way. Young people should be themselves, build their own values and become a valuable subject. You have your own advantages and disadvantages, so be active in deciding on your own path in the future. Experience, commit, and work to accumulate important life skills for yourself.
Interviewer: Thank you Mr. Pham Hong Hai for your sharing and once again congratulations on your achievements!
Mr. Pham Hong Hai is currently:
– Lecturer of the Faculty of Sociology and Social Work, Dalat University;
– Deputy Head of the Department of Politics and Student Services;
– Secretary of Ho Chi Minh Communist Youth Union of Dalat University;
– Authors of 4 academic articles published in the journals on the list of academic journals approved by the State Council for Professorship and a peer-reviewed international conference;
– The main author of 1 research paper at a peer-reviewed national conference, with ISBN;
– Co-editor 1 monograph titled “Poverty reduction for ethnic minorities in the Central Highlands: “Some theoretical and practical issues” published by National University Hanoi Publishing House in December 2020;
– In charge of guiding students research in 2022 and win the school-level first prize and his team was selected to participate in the consideration of the Ministry-level Research Award;
– Directly participate in the organization of programs and activities to prevent and control the Covid-19 epidemic, “The green summer” volunteer activities, and the program “Mid-Autumn Festival for children”.
Mr. Pham Hong Hai has received many achievements:
– Certificate of Merit from the Vietnam National Union of Students Central Committee for outstanding achievements in the Union’s work and student movement;
– Certificate of Merit from Lam Dong Provincial HCM Communist Youth Union for outstanding achievements in Youth Union work and youth movement;
– The title of “Outstanding Young Party Member” of Lam Dong Provincial HCM Communist Youth Union;
– Outstanding young teachers at provincial level in 2020, 2021…
The central-level Outstanding Young Teacher Award is an award given annually by the Central Committee of the Ho Chi Minh Communist Youth Union on the occasion of the Vietnam Teachers’ Day on November 20 for teachers and lecturers who have Vietnamese nationality and not exceeding 35 years old, are teaching in education and training institutions and vocational education institutions of the national education system.
Outstanding young teachers are teachers who have accomplished many high achievements in teaching and research, committed to contributing to society, living exemplary lives and being a role model for students.
Department of Journalism and Communication
Translator: Nguyen Hoang Nam Phuong